Saturday, August 13, 2022

Prey (2022)

  I couldn't take another Oscar nominee.

Naru (Amber Midthunder) has been training her entire life to become a brave of her Comanche tribe but always finds herself in the shadow of her brother, Taabe (Dakota Beavers).  While on a hunt, Naru comes across the tracks of something very different, a Predator unlike any she'd faced before.  

This was a fantastic Predator movie.  Taking an alien and just dropping him into the 1700s is so genius.  Naru is an excellent protagonist, utilizing brains over brawn to overcome the technology chasm between her and the thing hunting her.  

Now, you know how I feel about dubbing in movies (I dislike it) but Hulu has a Comanche dub of the film.  It is unique and smart and inclusive.  I still didn't like it because I feel like it adds an extra layer in between the actors and the audience that can strip nuance, but I highly approve of it existing.  This isn't really a spoiler, but I know it's important to some people.  There is a very good dog in the movie and she totally lives; nothing bad happens to the dog.

Prey did not get a theatrical release and is instantly available on Hulu.


No comments:

Post a Comment