Monday, October 24, 2022

Hello Horror 2022 - Day 24 - Silk (2006)

  I realized I hadn't gotten any Asian horror so far this year.  I had Iranian, Italian, and Finnish, but nothing from Korea, Japan, or Thailand, despite the absolute richness of the genre there.  Clearly, an oversight.  Silk isn't my favorite horror film (a little too sad for me) but I think it might be the first one from Taiwan I've seen.

A government research team has cracked the barrier for antigravity but the creator, Hashimoto (Yôsuke Eguchi), won't give it up without a final experiment.  Hashimoto believes that the Menger Sponge can also make ghosts visible.  He pulls some strings to have Detective Tung (Chang Chen) assigned to his team because of Tung's superior eyesight and ability to read lips.  Tung has no interest in Hashimoto's experiments; he is more concerned with his mother (Chi-Chen Ma) who is comatose and dying of ALS.  But when the team manages to isolate a ghost boy (Kuan-Po Chen), Tung is drawn in despite himself.

This covers a lot of genres.  It's horror, sci-fi, drama, little romance, revenge, redemption, but mostly it boils down to an examination of grief, of holding on and being afraid to let go, of mothers and sons, and what connects us to other people.

It's definitely the only film I've seen recently that shows realistic consequences of firing a gun into a space with civilians.  Tung is a reckless maniac trying to shoot the fucking ghosts even after it becomes abundantly clear that it doesn't work.  He shoots a cop, two civilians, a flower shop, and a subway train, terrorizing a whole bunch of people.  

Silk is unfortunately unavailable for streaming.  I got it on disc from Netflix.  

No comments:

Post a Comment