Saturday, October 1, 2022

Hello Horror 2022 - Day 1 - Berberian Sound Studio (2012)

  Welcome to the fourth year of my 31 days of horror feature.  All horror is welcome, but all horror will be judged.  We kick off the month with a Vibes-Only film, Berberian Sound Studio.

A mousy sound engineer, Gildroy (Toby Jones) is hired for a giallo flick at a small Italian studio.  Right away, there are problems.  He can't get the money he is owed, the producer (Cosimo Fusco) is a dick, the director (Antonio Mancino) is a creep, and the lead actress (Fatma Mohamed) is out for revenge.  Not to mention the disturbing subject matter he is exposed to over and over in a post-production that seems like it will never end.

This movie seems like a lot of inside baseball.  It's not inaccessible but I did feel like there were a lot of nuances that I just wasn't getting.  Some of it, ironically, was because the audio mixing wasn't great.  The parts that were in English were so quiet and mumbled that it was hard for me to hear, but I couldn't turn up the volume without being blasted by the sound effects.  Thank God half of it is subtitled.  

If you liked Blow Out, this might be worth watching.  It's kind of a mix between that and Suspiria.  Otherwise, ehhhhh.  I need a little more plot to go with my descent into madness.  It's currently streaming on Kanopy.

No comments:

Post a Comment