Monday, April 8, 2024

Before Sunrise (1995)

  I thought this was set in Paris but maybe that's the second one?

Jesse (Ethan Hawke) and Celine (Julie Delpy) are strangers who meet on a train leaving Budapest.  Jesse is an American trying to cure a broken heart with a Eurorail pass and Celine is returning to college after visiting family.  They have an instant connection and Jesse convinces Celine to get off the train with him in Vienna and spend the night walking around the city before he has to get on a plane back to America in the morning.

Ha ha.  I've done this.  Except it was a plane in Venice.  What?   I was a hot 20-something once.

I had seen Before Midnight, the final entry in the trilogy because of the Oscars which removed a lot of the will-they-won't-they from the end.  That and it's 30 years old.  This is 100% not my kind of movie but a lot of people really love it.  It's got that pseudo-profound coffeeshop dialogue that all young people think they invented spoken by attractive actors in a beautiful location.  I mean, that's half the work right there.  As a travelogue of Vienna, it's not great.  I would have liked the city to feel more like a character but it looks like budget was an issue in that regard.  

It's currently streaming on Criterion Channel as part of their One Night feature.

No comments:

Post a Comment