Sunday, January 15, 2023

Apocalypto (2006)

It's been a while since I watched this and I managed to forget it was directed by Mel "Anti-Semite" Gibson for the entire runtime so that end title card with "Directed by" gave me some serious whiplash.  I stand by my original statements.  This would make a great double feature with 28 Days Later.  And as a side note, the Oracle Girl's transition from sad child to vengeful prophet is one of the best performances from a child actor I've ever seen.  Originally posted  06 Nov 2010.    It looks like Christy is on a roll.  This would be the second Experiment she has sent me that I actually liked all the way through.  It's not precisely a foreign movie since it was bankrolled by Mr. Crazypants Mel Gibson but it is completely subtitled so it gets the tag.

This is the story of a young hunter named Jaguar Paw (Rudy Youngblood) who is taken as a slave after his village is attacked by Mayans.  He manages to put his pregnant wife and toddler into an empty well but then gets carted off to the capital to be painted blue and have his heart cut out, since apparently Mayan gods really have a thing against Smurfs.  He gets spared by a handy eclipse and manages to make a run for it by killing the lead hunter's (Raoul Trujillo) son.  The lead hunter takes that kind of personally and gives chase.  So many awesome things happen after that.  So many.

It kind of reminded me of 28 Days Later in that it concerned a young man who spends the majority of the film running from things he doesn't understand with a permanent look of terror on his face and the last 20 minutes being a complete badass.

1 comment:

  1. SQUEE!!! I'm so glad you liked it!!! /contemplates new position of awesome

    ReplyDelete