Saturday, January 21, 2023

Mouse Hunt (1997)

  I got recommended this movie at a Tupperware party sometime in 2016, which goes to show that I will watch anything... eventually.

Brothers Ernie (Nathan Lane) and Lars Smuntz (Lee Evans) are cash-poor but inherit their father's string factory.  Ernie wants to sell but Lars doesn't.  They also inherit a run-down mansion and discover that it was built by a famous designer and considered lost.  It's worth a fortune, if they can fix it up, and no familial guilt over selling that.  Their only problem is that the house is inhabited by an eerily precocious (and murderous) mouse.  Ernie and Lars match wits with the Mus musculus representative and set humanity's collective intelligence back about 70 years.

I don't know what I was expecting, but this wasn't it.  It wasn't particularly smart or funny, unless the point was schadenfreude because both brothers kind of suck.  I guess I just didn't see the point in any of the antics.  I didn't feel any connection to either of the brothers as sympathetic characters.  I didn't care about the mouse, either.  So I had no one to root for here, just to root against, and that's not enough for me.

I know what you're saying.  "It doesn't have to be thought-provoking CiNeMa.  It can just be a movie."  And it is certainly a film.  It exists.  I just could not suspend disbelief for more than 10 seconds.  It is one mouse.  A mouse that supposedly killed the previous owner.  An apparently immortal mouse, seeing as a normal lifespan is 5-7 years and it's been in the house for at least 20.  Is this a line of revenge-seeking mice?  Does the mouse have phoenix genes?  If it's so fucking smart, why didn't it hire a lawyer and sue for squatter's rights?

My point is that not only is the movie stupid, it assumes the audience is as well.  That we're just going to be happy to see the Kevin McAllister of rodents terrorize its Homo sapiens intruders.  And hey, if that sounds like a good time to you, Mouse Hunt is streaming on Amazon Prime right now.  It was not for me, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment