Saturday, January 21, 2023

Batman: Mask of the Phantasm (1993)

A second viewing really helped this one.  Whenever I recalled this movie, it was with complete disgust so it was very weird to see that I wrote about liking it, even if I wasn't enthusiastic in my praise.  I don't remember why I didn't like it, just that I thought it was terrible.  But I didn't, obviously, and seeing it again only reinforces that it's fine as a Batman movie (although I frankly resent Batman having another love interest besides Catwoman).  It's sadder now that Kevin Conroy is gone.  But it's currently streaming on HBO Max if you need to get your fix.  Originally posted 29 Jan 2012.    I used to love the animated Batman series that was on in the 90's.  I watched it every day after school.  This Batman is more hardcore than the old Adam West series from the 60's but more forgiving than later iterations.  The history is slightly revised here versus later incarnations as well.

Batman (Kevin Conroy) gets some competition in Gotham when a new guy called the Phantasm shows up and starts killing mob bosses.  Bruce Wayne finds himself distracted from the pursuit when an old flame, Andrea Beaumont (Dana Delaney), comes back to town.  Andrea's father is somehow connected to the mob and therefore to their deaths but Bruce can't help remembering his former love with regret over the path that he chose.

It's not a bad movie.  It helps if you've never seen any of the other Batman origin stories, but if you're really a fan of the character you'll like it anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment