Saturday, January 7, 2023

Becoming Jane (2007)

  This is another from the Christy files.  I've never been a big Jane Austen fan and I can't say this quasi-biopic changed anything for me.

Jane Austen (Anne Hathaway) just wants to write her stories but is being pressured by her family to marry well.  She meets reprobate lawyer Tom Lefroy (James McAvoy) and while they initially dislike one another, they Pride & Prejudice their way into romance, becoming the inspiration for Austen's most famous work.  Unlike her novel's happily ever after, however, real-world circumstances conspire against the couple and they are both forced to choose between social standing and love.

I have no idea if any of this is true and I don't care enough to look it up.  If it is, okay.  If it's dramatized, it's kind of insulting since it reduces Austen to basically fan-fictioning her life, and kind of robs her of her imagination and creativity in writing her book.  But like I said, I can't be arsed to do any research so I leave that up to you.  It's available on Paramount+.

Oh, and ironically, this will be posted on the day of Christy's wedding.  Mazel tov!

No comments:

Post a Comment