Sunday, November 21, 2010

Unstoppable (2010)

  Tony Scott has done the impossible:  he made a movie about trains interesting.  I was not going to go see this movie because my experience of trains is of sitting at those stupid little blinking red lights as I wait for an endless procession of identical cars to pass at roughly one-third the speed of paint drying.  Even after my brother recommended it to me I was disinclined to go but I figured the hell with it.  I hadn't seen a movie in theaters since RED in October and nothing else looked good at all.

It was outstanding.

The whole movie hinges on a series of bad decisions that, by themselves, wouldn't have been major but combined to form a catastrophe.  Ethan Suplee is pissed at his boss for breathing down his neck so he cuts corners by not connecting the air brake.  He gets down from the moving train to flip the track switch and the throttle slips.  Now there's a runaway train hauling toxic and highly combustible chemicals.
Chris Pine is a conductor only four months out of training.  Because he's on the phone about a restraining order his wife took out on him, he miscounts the number of cars he's supposed to add to his train and takes five more.  This will later prevent him and Denzel from being able to get onto a side track, forcing them to play chicken with said runaway train.
The people at Corporate keep trying to minimize the damage to their shareholders, refusing to be aware of how dangerous the situation really is.  They decide not to derail the train in an unpopulated area and try several other methods, each one progressively more desperate and dangerous.

The casting for this movie was spot-on.  Everyone did such a great job, especially Rosario Dawson.  They did everything they could to minimize her inherent beauty to make her more realistic, including hiding her rather large bust.

I know it's hard for women in Hollywood to make the transition from "hot girl" to "real actress" and I'm glad she's getting that chance.

1 comment:

  1. ...wow.../shakes head, not even a considerate *spoiler alert* from you.../eye roll, now I don't need to see it

    ReplyDelete