Friday, November 26, 2010

The Man Who Came to Dinner (1942)

  See?  Here's a Thanksgiving movie.  And you thought I couldn't do it.  All right, it's set over Christmas, but come on!  It was close.

This, of course, is the poster for the play and not the movie but I liked it.  It's got almost an Edward Gorey kind of feel to it.

Anyway, The Man Who Came to Dinner is a classic comedy starring Bette Davis and Monty Wooley.  Never heard of the last guy?  That's because he starred in the original Broadway version and did such a good job they put him in the movie.    He plays a man named Sheridan Whiteside, a famous critic and radio personality, who injures himself on a set of icy stairs and is forced to remain in the home of a Midwestern couple until he recuperates.  In retaliation, he becomes the worst houseguest imaginable with a list of demands a mile long, a disagreeable demeanor, and threats of lawsuits.  He even attempts to wreck his long-suffering secretary's budding romance with the local newspaper man because he can't stand the thought of hiring someone new.

It's catty and backstabby and fun and I found it to be a very nice ending to a hectic day.  I know I had to be on my very best behavior because I was a guest in someone's home and it was delicious to watch someone else be on their very worst.

No comments:

Post a Comment