Saturday, April 14, 2012

Buying the Cow (2002)

  This was supposed to have been the Christy pick for March but I didn't ask her for it in time.  I wish I could say it was worth the trouble...

I can say it's not a completely shitty film.  There were parts during the beginning that I thought were funny and I commend Ryan Reynolds on his willingness to get almost completely nude on film.  Those are the positives.

The negatives are that it starts getting repetitive with the jokes about halfway through.  That's when I started fast forwarding.  There's a homophobic subplot involving Ryan Reynolds' character that I found grating and I thought the performances of all the actors were one step shy of cartoonish.  You may like that sort of thing.  I didn't.

David (Jerry O'Connell) and his girlfriend Sarah (Bridgette Wilson) have been dating for five years when she gives him a deadline (ultimatum) of popping the question.  She leaves for New York to do a job for two months and at the end of that time she expects an answer, or more properly, a question.  David is freaking out because he has still never gotten over a girl he saw for a moment at an airport when he was 15, a girl who he never saw again.  His two best friends (Ryan Reynolds and Bill Bellamy) try and help him with their own conflicting advice.

I don't really agree with the premise of the movie because I don't put a whole lot of stock into the concept of marriage in general.  Taking that away, I found it to be a half-rate comedy with more stars than it deserved.  If you want a better variation on the theme, watch Love Stinks.

No comments:

Post a Comment