Saturday, July 14, 2012

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982)

  Rob is on a Star Trek kick right now, apparently.  We're doing this thing where I pick a movie, then he picks a movie.  He threatens to make me watch 21 Jump Street, I threaten to make him watch The Exorcist and then we pick movies the other one won't hate.

I grew up in a Trekkie household, although it was a weird one.  My dad is a tractor salesman and not the person you'd expect to be interested in space drama but he loooooooved The Next Generation and the old original series reruns.  I have probably seen every episode of the original show and 90% of TNG.  And yes, I have seen all the original movies.

The one with the whales is still my favorite, mostly because this one freaked me the hell out as a kid.  The ear bugs, man.  I had nightmares for weeks that I was going to wake up and find that thing crawling across my pillow toward my tiny unsuspecting ear.

You're welcome.

Picking up after the end of the first movie, the Enterprise is basically retired and the crew are scattered.  Chekov (Walter Koenig) is now part of another ship, the Reliant, assigned to help a scientific group out in the middle of nowhere.  They are supposed to be looking for a barren, lifeless world but this is proving harder than initially expected.  They find one with minimal readings and beam down to see if the lifeforms can be moved (or squashed).  Instead, they find the remnants of a crew Captain Kirk (William Shatner) had marooned there years ago, led by the magnificently chested Khan (Ricardo Montalban).  Khan is hot for revenge and has a plan to lure Kirk out and destroy him.  Meanwhile, now-Admiral Kirk is busy training new Starfleet captains through the grueling Kobiyashi Maru but finds it unfulfilling.  On a routine training mission, he receives a garbled communication from the leader of the science team (Bibi Besch) and seizes the opportunity to once again kick some space ass. 

Not to give up any spoilers for this 30-year-old movie, but I seriously thought it ended after Khan leaves Kirk and his people abandoned on that planet.  I didn't remember anything happening after the extremely famous "KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!" scene.  So when we re-watched it, I was delighted to find that it wasn't the depressing existentialist drama that I thought it was when I was ten. 

Although I'm pretty sure it says something about me that I blanked out everything after the bad guy's apparent victory like that was just how it was supposed to be. 

This is one of those rare series where the even numbered movies are actually better than the odd numbered.  Usually, the first movie will be awesome, the second will be lackluster at best and then the third brings it back up to awesome.  Anything after that is just a shameless grab for cash.  I can't think of another series where movies 2, 4, and 6 are really awesome and 1, 3, and 5 suck. 

It gets the horror tag for that ear thing, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment