Sunday, July 15, 2012

Star Trek: First Contact (1996)

  I have caught bits and pieces of this one before on cable, but I've never actually sat down and watched the whole thing until Rob picked it the other night.  If you're keeping count and it seems like he's ahead, that's because I picked The Comedy Central Roast of Charlie Sheen.  Don't you judge me.  He'd never seen it and I needed some brain candy.  I work hard for you people.  You will let me relax!  

Ahem.  I have to admit, I was not terribly impressed.  Even though the Borg kind of are my people and Alice Krige is amazingly creepy, I felt like the Earth storyline really just detracted from the whole thing.  It was like two episodes of the TV show that they remixed to make into a movie.  Don't get me wrong, it's well-done; I would just be pissed if I had paid to see it in theaters. 

The starship Enterprise is told to stay out when the rest of the fleet attacks the Borg because Captain Picard (Patrick Stewart) used to be one and they don't want him going all Manchurian Candidate in the middle of battle.  But after hearing the rest of the fleet get their asses kicked, he decides the hell with orders! and jumps into the fray.  The ship follows one jettisoned pod headed toward Earth and get caught behind it when it opens a time vortex (SCIENCE!) into the distant past of 2063.  Commander Riker (Jonathan Frakes) realizes that the Borg are trying to disrupt humanity's first contact with an alien race and nip this whole Federation thing in the bud.  Riker, Deanna Troi (Marina Sirtis), and Geordi (Levar Burton) beam down to try and save the future.  Meanwhile, Picard, Data (Brent Spiner), and a random chick from Earth (Alfre Woodard) stay on the ship to try and stop the Borg Queen (Alice Krige). 

I could tell you more but it starts to fall apart after that.  If you liked the Borg arc on the TV show then you'd probably like this film.  Otherwise, there are better ones in the series that you could skip to.

No comments:

Post a Comment