Saturday, July 14, 2012

The Witches of Eastwick (1987)

  This is one of my favorite movies.  I don't even care how dated the clothes and effects are. 

Three lonely women:  Alex (Cher), Sookie (Michelle Pfeiffer) and Jane (Susan Sarandon) get more than they bargain for when a stranger shows up in the sleepy little town of Eastwick.  Daryl (Jack Nicholson) seems to be everything they've been wishing for.  He's rich, not so much handsome as compelling, and he seems genuinely interested in all three of them.  Despite raising the ire of local councilwoman Felicia (Veronica Cartwright), the three women are fiendishly happy.  Until things start to go terribly wrong.

They've done a musical, several rip-offs, and even a couple of television shows which goes to prove how awesome this movie is.  It is not without its flaws, however.  1)  Susan Sarandon.  I understand they needed a redhead and she is a natural ginger but I've never found her attractive, personally, and 2) they ugly up Michelle Pfeiffer to a ridiculous degree.  I mean, look at that poster.  Cher and Susan get designer evening wear but Michelle gets stuck with MC Hammer's rejects?  Come on.  There's no excuse for that, 80s! 

Despite those two hiccups, I love this movie.  Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go have some cherries.

No comments:

Post a Comment