Saturday, May 11, 2013

A Series of Unfortunate Events (2004)

  I remember when this movie first came out.  I had gone to see it in the theaters because I love seeing children in mortal danger.  By the end, I was ready to feed some brats to the Lachrymose Leeches.  It wouldn't have been so bad if the baby in the movie, wasn't subtitled.  I hadn't been expecting that and clearly neither had the dad sitting behind me with a child unable to read.  Every five minutes I heard "WHAT DOES THAT SAY DADDY?!"

Left a bad taste in my mouth.

Years went by, things like Sucker Punch and The Uninvited happened to Emily Browning's career, and everyone kind of forgot about this movie.  Ok, I forgot about this movie.  Then, out of the blue, Christy wanted to watch it. 

Three newly orphaned children:  Violet (Emily Browning), Klaus (Liam Aiken), and Sunny (Kara and Shelby Hoffman) must try to discover their parents' secrets while trying to avoid their villainous uncle, Count Olaf (Jim Carrey) who is after their inheritance.  The executor, Mr. Poe (Timothy Spall), carts them to one weird relative after another from the guy who's really into snakes (Billy Connolly) to the grammar Nazi afraid of everything (Meryl Streep) in the hopes of finding them a permanent home. 

This is one of the most depressing movies featuring orphans that's still billed as a comedy.  It's based on a 13-book series. I hesitate to call them children's books but they're not quite young adult.  I would say if you were a slightly cruel parent or just wanted to remind your kids that everything they have is ephemeral, you might enjoy reading these to them at bedtime.

No comments:

Post a Comment