Sunday, May 12, 2013

Quest for Camelot (1998)

  As I've previously stated, I missed a number of animated movies from the late 90's because I was too old to have a reason to watch them.  Christy has a brother ten years younger than us, which means she got to see a lot of these with him, while I missed out because my brother was only five years younger than me. 

Initially, I was concerned while watching Quest for Camelot for two reasons:  1) I had never even heard of this movie when it came out or since and 2) the very first song "On My Father's Wings" is terrible.  Treacly sweet, repetitive, and just boring, it is not a good representation of the movie.  Happily, once you get passed that, the rest is quite enjoyable.

Kayley (Jessalyn Gilsig) is the daughter of Sir Lionel of the Round Table (Gabriel Byrne).  All she wants is to grow up and follow in his footsteps to knighthood, but when evil Ruber (Gary Oldman) kills him, it seems her dreams will be lost.  Ruber's pet griffin (Bronson Pinchot) manages to steal Excalibur but loses it in the Forbidden Forest.  Kayley races into the forest to try and beat Ruber to the sword, running into blind woodsman Garrett (Cary Elwes) and rejected dragons Devon (Eric Idle) and Cornwall (Don Rickles).  Together, they must survive the perils of the woods and defeat Ruber, restoring Excalibur to King Arthur (Pierce Brosnan).

Like I said, this is much cuter than I originally thought it would be.  With Cary Elwes in the cast, it's hard not to draw some comparisons with The Princess Bride, especially during the early part of the forest scenes but the comic relief really elevates it from just a rip-off.  Mostly I recognized the music, seeing as a lot of the soundtrack was either directly released onto the radio or had a pop cover.  In particular, "The Prayer" was sung in the film by Celine Dion, although I prefer the Charlotte Church version myself.  I'm not sure why this movie is so obscure but if you can find it, it's worth a rental for your kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment