Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Cars (2006)

  I've had this movie sitting, unopened, in my box of DVDs-to-watch for almost five years now.  That is a long time to wait.

This is my least favorite Pixar movie, or it was until the sequel came out.  I understand that it is extremely beloved by children, so there's that.  I'm just not much of a car or Owen Wilson fan.  Luigi's "pit stop" at the big race still makes me laugh, however. 

Rookie racecar Lightning McQueen (Owen Wilson) has the chance of a lifetime, competing for the Piston Cup alongside veteran The King (Richard Petty) and perennial runner-up Chick Hicks (Michael Keaton).  It's the King's last race and Lightning knows that his sponsor, Dinoco, will be looking for a new face.  After a three-way tie, however, the decision is made to hold a tie-breaker in California.  Lightning wants to get there first so he can woo the sponsors but his driver, Mack (John Ratzenberger), falls asleep on the road and accidentally dumps Lightning out in the middle of nowhere.  With no headlights, Lightning wanders into the dying town of Radiator Springs and manages to destroy the road.  During the course of his community service (repaving) he learns that sometimes you have to slow down to be able to appreciate what's around you.

I didn't think Michael Keaton joined the Pixar team until Toy Story 3.  I had no idea he was in this but the last time I saw this movie was like 2007 so it's not really a surprise.

No comments:

Post a Comment