Saturday, March 22, 2014

The Complete Works of William Shakespeare (Abridged) (2000)

  When I was in high school drama (yeah, I was a drama nerd.  Big shock, right?) we had to perform Hamlet and I got to be the title role because none of the boys wanted it.  Then, for shiggles, our teacher had us also do the abridged performance complete with the two minute encore.  We weren't very good at it but I at least recognized good material when I saw it.  So when Netflix recommended this production I jumped at the chance to see actual professionals do it justice.

Adam Long, Reed Martin, and Austin Tichenor take 37 of Shakespeare's plays and sonnets and perform them in 90 minutes.  As insane as that sounds, they cover Hamlet, Romeo & Juliet, Titus Andronicus, Julius Caesar, Antony and Cleopatra, all the comedies at once, and the entire historical cycle.  These are three very talented guys clearly working with a subject they love, not just love to make fun of.  If you like theater, I would definitely recommend it as worth checking out, in person if you can.  If not, there's the DVD.

1 comment:

  1. Remember when you and I had a scene together and we got the giggles? Good times!

    ReplyDelete