Monday, March 24, 2014

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest (2009)

  I will get to the movie in a second.  First, this is my 1000th post, you guys.  One thousand.  That is a crapload of movies and TV to watch in roughly four years.  Thanks to everyone who is still reading, if you started back in the day, and to everyone just joining, get to work because there's a lot to catch up on. 

When I told Christy that the next post I did would be my thousandth, she congratulated me and then asked if it was going to be a "good movie or one that nobody cares about" because she's a whore. 

This is the third film in the Swedish series based on the books by Stieg Larsson.  It probably should have all been watched at roughly the same time, instead of a year ago and a year and a half ago.  I didn't do it, but I would recommend that you do, if you're planning on seeing them. 

Lisbeth Salander (Noomi Rapace) is charged with the attempted murder of her father, Alexander Zelachenko (Georgi Staykov), while she is in the hospital recovering from the wounds she got while trying to escape him.  Her buddy, Mikael Blomkvist (Michael Nyqvist), hires his sister Annika (Annika Hallin) to defend her while he looks further into the government conspiracy that brought Zalachenko over to begin with.  However, the people in the conspiracy would rather this embarrassing little incident just be swept under the rug, so they hire Lisbeth's former psychiatrist Dr. Teleborian (Anders Albohm Rosendhal) to testify that she's insane. 

Each movie in this trilogy has been a totally separate genre.  The first one was a locked room mystery, the second was more of a conspiracy thriller, and this one is a courtroom potboiler.  That could seem disorienting but I found it refreshing since it wasn't just the same basic plot over and over again.  I have no idea if it's a deviation from the books since I quit after the first one because it bored me to tears. 

This trilogy was decent enough as a rental and all three are available on streaming, so there's really no excuse not to watch them.  I'm not adding them to my Christmas wish list but I felt like they were all solid efforts.

No comments:

Post a Comment