Saturday, March 29, 2014

Catching Up on TV

As many of you know, sometimes I get stuck when several seasons of TV shows come up on my rotation all at once, leaving me no time to watch a movie outright.  This is one of those times. 

Christy introduced me to the show Girl Code sometime last year.    It's a fun, half-hour show on MTV where a bunch of comics get together and talk about girl stuff.  It doesn't have a lot of re-watchability but the first time through it's pretty hilarious.  

I also watched all 26 episodes of Ghost in the Shell:  Stand Alone Complex and found it to be a thought-provoking and entertaining bit of anime.    Some of it was just weird but I quite liked the themes they were exploring, like the nature of life and what it means to be self-actualized, the process of individuality, and whether AI can develop a soul.  I also found it interesting to see how many things in their near-future (it's set in 2030) are being or could be developed by that time.  Fully-realized artificial intelligence, cyborg parts, full prosthetic bodies, virtual reality that feels like reality, and of course, giant robots.  If any of that sounds at all interesting, I would encourage you to check it out. 

And then there's Glee  Glee was one of those shows I enjoyed watching for the first two seasons but the third one came on just as I was in the middle of moving from Virginia to Maryland.  I tried to keep up but around episode four I just couldn't.  The whole show is streaming on Netflix but this season was very hit-and-miss.  Most of the episodes have funny parts but overall this season was way more flat and more preachy in its messages.  The sub-plot about Coach Beiste's (Dot-Marie Jones) abusive marriage was tacked on to about three episodes for approximately .0089 minutes of total airtime.  You can't care about something that fast.  Plus, they made Sue Sylvester (Jane Lynch) nice which just felt wrong, although her interactions with swim coach Roz Washington (Nene Leakes) showed some of that old vim and verve.  Not nearly enough to save the season, however.

In other news, I bought Frozen and watched it with Rob, who loved it, but since I just reviewed it so recently, it didn't seem fair to post it again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment