Monday, May 5, 2014

Chocolate (2008)

  I swear to God, I thought I had written a post about this movie already.  I Netflixed it back in 2009, which I just looked up and had a minor freak out since it was nowhere in my shipping history.  I looked it up by name and it said I watched it on 12/11/09, so it must have been streaming.  For a hot minute, I thought I had hallucinated seeing this before.  Don't laugh at me.

Moving on.

I am seriously a fan of Thai martial arts films.  Even though this movie is kind of insane, it's the best possible type of insane.

Zin (Ammara Siripong) and Masashi (Hiroshi Abe) are rival gangsters.  She is an enforcer for Thai boss No. 8 (Pongpat Wachirabunjong) and he is yakuza.  However, all that gets pushed aside when they fall in love.  No. 8 is not thrilled and tells the couple that if he sees them together again he will kill them.  Zin tells Masashi she can never see him again after she realizes that she is pregnant, and cannot put their child at risk.  Their daughter, Zen (Yanin Vismitananda), is autistic but blessed with absurd reflexes which she uses to learn Muay Thai from Tony Jaa movies.  Zin is diagnosed with cancer and the bills start to pile up, so Zen and her adopted brother Moom (Taphon Phopwandee) start going to local businesses to collect on debts from when Zin was in the protection racket.  Naturally, No. 8 has a problem with this. 

Savants are often misunderstood, especially in film.  It is not a superpower, it is a mental illness.  So, from a humanist perspective, I decry the insensitivity of using it as a shortcut for character development.  On the other hand, the fight scenes in this movie are so badass I can't be mad at it.  Maybe that makes me a bad person.  I don't care.  This movie is awesome and you should watch it.

No comments:

Post a Comment