Sunday, June 1, 2014

The Secret in Their Eyes (2009)

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEj1OBAagV9LRNAKFeERC1N0kRE-oHlfu5B7ESb-HrM6tg0wvQPEo0YVFwHAd_hiuhBc9wzLyHBkk-Iy4ooa-fpzVWSzuanThrB6_iq2c-G5qJWzHl4WOpzYRtkqYCwRayZN4_DbYTV-YhQ/s400/kdnyg6q2x363opfvx98z.jpg  This is another from my very first Oscar nominations post, so you can see how long it's been in my Netflix queue.  I was shocked at how much I actually enjoyed watching it.  I don't know that I could ever see it again, so I probably won't buy it, but I totally understand why they're trying to do an American remake.

Benjamin Esposito (Ricardo Darin) is haunted by a particular case he worked when he was a lawyer.  (I don't know enough about the Argentinian legal system, but I would guess the equivalent would be state's attorney, even though they're treated more like judge's clerks.)  Liliana Coloto (Carla Quevado) was a beautiful young newlywed who was found raped and murdered in her apartment while her husband was at work.  Benjamin can't let this case go, even though it's been twenty years, and decides to turn it into a novel, flashing back to the events that shaped his future.

If I say any more about it, I'll probably tell you the entire movie because that's the kind of film this is.  There was at least one point where I growled at my TV because a character did something so fucked up out of sheer pettiness, but I don't want to ruin it for you.  Let's say instead that this movie is about consequences, intended and not, and about the paths we fear to tread.  This won the Oscar for Best Foreign Film and completely deserved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment