Saturday, June 21, 2014

Ginger Snaps (2000)

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20091125022337/headhuntershorrorhouse/images/9/98/Ginger_Snaps_Back_-_The_Beginning_(2004)_002.jpg  Don't worry, it's not French.  Just Canadian.

Ginger (Katherine Isabelle) and Brigette (Emily Perkins) Fitzgerald are awkward teens who hate their boring small town life.  As weird and morbid as they are, things get even stranger when Ginger is attacked by a werewolf.  She soon starts to notice disturbing changes with her body, including weird hair growth, strange urges, and oh yeah, a tail.  Soon, Brigitte realizes that she may have to save her sister from a fate worse than high school.

Minus the tail and all the murdering, this is pretty much exactly what going through puberty is like for a teen girl.  I had never made the direct correlation between puberty and lycanthropy before, but once I saw it, it was impossible not to recognize it as truth.  I think anyone who's been a teen girl or been in a house with one knows I'm right.

Most of the effects work is pretty good.  Things get a little wonky near the end but by then you're either strapped in for the ride or you've already turned it off so it shouldn't matter.

I totally spaced on posting on Monday and I'm really sorry about that, you guys.  I'll try not to screw up again.

No comments:

Post a Comment