Sunday, November 20, 2016

Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones (2002)

  I apologize for not posting yesterday.  Christy came up for a weekend and we were out running around and watching movies all day.  It was a good visit and great movies so definitely a win all around.

I had tried to watch Episode I but there are too many passages with strictly alien languages and no subtitle options on the server copy.  I have a DVD copy but I was too annoyed to bother with it so I just moved on to the second film.

I hated these prequels the first time I saw them. It's been over ten years now so I thought maybe the sense of betrayal would have faded.  After all, there are kids now who were born in those intervening years who have no idea what a dick-punch the prequels were.  They seem to like them okay.

Anakin (Hayden Christiansen) is now apprenticing to be a Jedi under Obi-Wan Kenobi (Ewan McGregor), although he is finding it very difficult to conform to the rules of the Order.  He is very excited to see former queen, now Senator, Padme (Natalie Portman) again even if it is because someone keeps trying to kill her.  Obi-Wan tracks the would-be assassin to a planet that has been wiped from Jedi records and learns that it is the base for an army of clones apparently ordered years before by a Jedi master who turned to the dark side.  Meanwhile, Anakin keeps having dreams about his mother (Pernilla August) being in danger so he and Padme return to Tatooine.  Then Anakin does a Bad Bad Thing and they leave, joining Obi-Wan to hunt down rebel Jedi Count Dooku (Christopher Lee).

I don't outright hate this film on principle anymore but it's still not very good.  Christiansen is annoying as fuck, Portman isn't given enough to do besides be beautiful, and there's so much emphasis on the CGI that everything else fades into the background.  It is the thinnest veneer of plots stretching around all the special effects and it just does not work.

No comments:

Post a Comment