Friday, November 25, 2016

Agent Cody Banks 2: Destination London (2004)

Happy Black Friday, everyone!  I know, I missed posting on the holiday (Thanksgiving, for all you non-Americans who might be wondering who the hell has a holiday on a random Thursday) but I was busy stuffing my face.  I came home around 9 PM and suffered through this movie for you guys while fighting off a food coma.  You're welcome.  Agent Cody Banks 2 film.jpg  This was a terrible movie.  I never saw the first one and this was part of the Bowen largesse so it's not like I paid for it, but damn.  This movie was awful.

Cody Banks (Frankie Muniz) is a 16-year-old CIA agent tasked with an undercover mission to track down his former mentor (Keith Allen), who has stolen a prototype mind-control device and fled to London.  Cody's cover is that he is a musical prodigy in England to join a youth orchestra, despite having no musical talent.  But that's okay, because the CIA is willing to spend millions of dollars outfitting him with a clarinet that plays by itself, as well as Mentos that double as explosives and a pen that is also a grappling hook.

Honestly, I get it.  You (the producers of this film) wanted a teen James Bond to capitalize on those sweet, sweet under-21 dollars.  You didn't care if the plot made sense.  It's a sequel, anyway.  So what if you couldn't get anyone from the first movie to come back except for Frankie Muniz.  You got Anthony Anderson.  That's something.

I have no idea if the first Cody Banks movie was any good.  I can't imagine it was but then, I am not even close to the target audience for this.  I'm going to give this DVD to my godchildren and see if they like it.

1 comment:

  1. I thought you liked the godchildren. Yeah...this was shameful cash grab. This was back when Anthony Anderson would do anything to boost his résumé. I'm pretty sure that Frankie Muniz was only in this due to probably being contractually obligated, paired with taking whatever work he still could get at the time. I was surprised it was actually a theater release, but less surprised to see it in the $5 bin six months later. All of that being said, I suffered through neither of the Cody Banks movies, and thankfully, my kids have always had grown-up tastes in movies, so I wasn't even asked to endure this series. Thank you for confirming my fears. I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete