Saturday, July 8, 2017

Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)

Image result for spiderman homecoming posters  Last night I introduced my work wife and my house husband to each other.  I think it went well.  We're all pretty nerdy so we get the same kind of references and the same kind of humor.  So of course we had to see the new Spider-Man.  I did not have high hopes, considering that I have never been a huge fan of the character and it seems like there have been 800 movies about him recently, but this was totally worthy of being part of the MCU.

Peter Parker (Tom Holland) is trying desperately to live up to Tony Stark's (Robert Downey, Jr.) expectation of him as an Avenger while also trying to balance being in high school and keeping his Aunt May (Marisa Tomei) from worrying.  It grows increasingly difficult when he runs afoul of Adrian Toomes (Micheal Keaton), who sells weapons powered by illegal salvaged Chitauri materials left over from the Battle of New York.  Toomes is just trying to provide a life for his family and has no time for a pipsqueak in red tights but when Spider-Man starts cutting into his business, all bets are off.

I laughed so hard through almost this entire movie.  It was freakin' hilarious.  Most of that comes from being exceptionally well-cast.  I was really unsure about Tom Holland living up to expectations but he was excellent.  Keaton is always amazing and he seemed really relaxed in this role.  It just fit him so well.  The supporting cast of Jacob Batalan as Peter's best friend, Ned, and Tony Revelori as his high school nemesis, Flash, were fantastic.  People made a big deal out of Zendaya appearing in the film but her role is really just to foreshadow future films so I wasn't blown away by her.  There is, however, a phenomenal cameo by Chris Evans as Captain America doing PSAs for the Presidential Physical Fitness Test that makes me laugh every time I think about it.

There are two post-credit sequences, one of which is interesting and the other hilarious.  You should go check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment