Sunday, July 2, 2017

Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)

I took this over to my friend Hollie's last night because neither she nor the new boyfriend had ever seen it.  We watched it as part of an Australian double feature, but Hollie skipped the second film, which I will be posting about shortly.  Both are ones I had previously see so I'm sorry they're all reposts but hey, at least I'm watching stuff, right?

It's still one of the most gorgeous movies I've ever seen but what struck me the most this viewing was how logical the progression of events was.  Nothing seemed out of place in the choreography or plot.  It seems like such a "duh" thing but how many times have you been sitting in a big action-heavy movie and thought "wait, what?" at something on screen?  I didn't have that even once.

Originally posted 07 Jun 15.  
Nominated for Best Picture, Best Director, Best Cinematography, Best Film Editing, Best Production Design, Best Costume Design, Best Hair and Makeup, Best Sound Mixing, Best Sound Editing and Best Visual Effects





















This movie was completely, totally, absolutely bugnuts insane.  I have to own it.  That's just all there is.  When it was first announced, I was on the fence.  I didn't know if it could hold a candle to the previous films, yes, even Beyond Thunderdome, and a paltry effort would have diminished the series in entirety.  Happily, I can say that this is very much a Mad Max film and easily stands toe-to-toe with the Mel Gibson ones.

Max (Tom Hardy) is an aimless drifter, haunted by the memories of those he could not save, when he is captured by the creepy pale minions of Immortan Joe (Hugh Keays-Byrne).  He is designated a universal blood donor and would have probably spent the majority of the movie slowly being drained dry if Joe's most celebrated driver, Imperator Furiosa (Charlize Theron), hadn't chosen that time to make a break for freedom with Joe's carefully selected harem of wives.  Max's blood is fueling a sick minion named Nux (Nicholas Hoult) when the word goes out.  Not wanting to be left behind, Nux takes his blood bag with him, which eventually affords Max the opportunity to escape.  He teams up with Furiosa out of necessity when Immortan Joe calls out all his reinforcements to capture and return the wives.

This isn't necessarily a criticism, but an observation based on my experience and what I overheard from other theater patrons.  The movie uses its own brand of slang, which is not the most accessible.  It didn't matter so much to me, because I plan to buy it anyway so I can just turn on the captions, but it might be off-putting to you.

Honestly, it wouldn't have mattered to me if no one spoke at all.  This movie was so gorgeously shot that I didn't need anything else.  If John Seale doesn't get a nomination for cinematography at the Oscars next year, I will be seriously pissed.  Every frame was breathtaking.  Apparently, George Miller, the director, has already said that the blu-ray will feature an alternate version of the movie shot only in black and white with a stripped-down score.  As if I needed another reason to buy it.  The hard part will be waiting until it's released, which will probably be around Christmas.

1 comment:

  1. I loved this movie. The Road Warrior is the only film in the series that comes close to this one. Fury Road was the best in terms of the technical elements. Can't wait for the bluray.

    ReplyDelete