Sunday, February 4, 2018

Dear Basketball (2017)

Nominated for Best Animated Short  Dear-Basketball.jpg  It's really hard to find any of the short films so I was very excited to see this, even if it is about basketball.

Kobe Bryant narrates and produces this six-minute elegy to the sport that made him famous.  I am not a sports person, so I've never watched him play or been interested in anything about him so this was actually the first time I've ever heard his voice.  The animation is intended to look like rough pencil sketches, which is charming, interspersed with more fully-realized drawing, like the poster.  Some of the depictions of him as a child reminded me of Disney characters, so I looked up the animator, Glen Keane, and found that he worked on major animation for the studio, including Tangled, Tarzan, Pocahontas, and Beauty and the Beast.  So he's kind of a big deal.

Obviously, this isn't a person I'm familiar with and this is the first film I've seen from this category so I can't speak to its chances.  It seems heartfelt and lovely to look at.

No comments:

Post a Comment