Monday, February 14, 2011

The American (2010)

  I watched this on the plane ride back, as well.  It was a long flight.  I had heard it was good from a couple of people so I figured I'd check it out.

It's not bad.  George Clooney movies rarely are.  He does tend to pick movies that are quiet, slow-burning, cerebral thrillers so if you're expecting mile-a-minute action, you might be disappointed.

After being forced to kill his girlfriend in Sweden, custom weapon designer/assassin Jack goes to hide out in Italy.  His boss wants him to do One Last Job before he leaves for good.  Meanwhile, he's being targeted by Swedish assassins, becoming friends with a nosy priest, and starting a relationship with a prostitute.

I'm debating whether or not to buy it.  It's not really an assassin movie, per se and it's pretty bleak.  I know, bleak seems to be my wheelhouse but it's not really.  I try not to watch depressing movies (despite what Netflix thinks) when I don't have to.  I'm already clinically depressed, I don't need a movie to make me feel worse than usual.  Hence, I tend to prefer happy endings even when they're not as plausible.  This one isn't as bad as some but it's not cheerful, that's for damn sure.  So I'm on the fence.  I liked it, but I'm not sure how much.

No comments:

Post a Comment