Sunday, February 13, 2011

The Town (2010)



Nominated for:  Best Supporting Actor
  This movie wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I didn't think it was great, but it was okay. I think this is the sophmore directorial contribution by Ben Affleck. I didn't see Gone Baby Gone so I don't know if this is better or worse. I thought it was well-acted so maybe that's the sign of a good director? 

The story is about a crew of bank/armored truck robbers in Charlestown, a suburb of Boston.  The leader of the crew becomes involved with a woman they once held hostage which foments discord between him and the hotshot second-in-command.

Poor Jeremy Renner.  If he doesn't watch out, he's going to get typecast as the "broody violent crazy guy".  I guess as long as that keeps getting him Oscar nominations it's really not so bad. 

This was also one of Pete Postlethwaite's final roles.  He plays an Irish florist, who is about the antithesis of any florist you've ever seen.  My favorite part he ever played was as the Old Man in James and the Giant Peach

This was another movie I downloaded on my iPod but I ended up watching it on the plane's system instead.  It was one of those films that uses the whole screen and my little-ass iPod was not handling it right.  Besides, it was free so it's not like I paid a rental fee twice.  It wasn't that good.

But if you're in the mood for a heist movie that isn't Soderbergh-slick, picking this one up won't do you any harm.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVED the 'Florist'...he will be sorely missed

    ReplyDelete