Sunday, July 31, 2011

Sunset (1988)

I wasn't especially looking forward to this movie, based on the sleeve which said it was a "Western spoof/murder mystery" with Wyatt Earp (James Garner) teaming up with an actor who is going to play him in a movie (Bruce Willis).  That sounds like a disaster.

The movie wasn't as horrible as I was envisioning, thank God.  I was picturing some abomination like Hudson Hawk but it was a lot more like a generic buddy cop movie.  James Garner acted circles around Bruce Willis but that's to be expected.  I'm pretty sure Willis only took the part so he could geek out about being on-set with a legend.

Malcolm McDowell is in this as well, playing the head of the movie studio.  I'm not sure how much of his character was based on Charlie Chaplin, hopefully not a lot.  His accent comes and goes, which I found annoying considering that his character's sister (Jennifer Edwards) had a straight American accent. 

The plot is pretty weak, considering that you know who the villains are immediately, but it's a fun movie nonetheless and it marks the big screen debut of Dermot Mulroney if that interests you.

No comments:

Post a Comment