Sunday, July 10, 2011

Moon (2009)

  This movie made me sad.  Which is not to say that it's a bad movie.  Far from it.  

Sam Bell (Sam Rockwell) works a 3 yr mission on the far side of the moon, mining helium-3 to supply energy to Earth.  He has a wife and baby at home and is counting the days until his return.  Except that things start going wrong.  Sam has nightmares and a unsettling feeling that he is not alone.  Even his adorable and ever-so-slightly-creepy robot companion, GERTY, can't help him.

Now I have seen a fair number of science fiction films and generally, dramas set in space fall into one of three categories.

A:  evil robots (2001:  A Space Odyssey, WALL-E)

B:  aliens (Alien, Pitch Black)

C:  corporate conspiracies (Aliens)

Considering that Kevin Spacey was the voice of the robot, I would have put money on A.  But that's because I'm one of those horrible people who tries to figure out the twist before the plot is even laid out.

***SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER***
It's not A.
***END SPOILER***

The ending of the movie made me feel the same way I did when I saw Gattaca, that sort-of-happy-but-at-a-really-high-cost bittersweet kind of feeling.  Which is not bad for a film that basically only stars one guy.  I like Sam Rockwell in pretty much everything, though, even Charlie's Angels so I'm a little biased.

No comments:

Post a Comment