Sunday, August 30, 2020

The Crow (1994)

It is apparently my lot in life to proselytize The Crow to others.  I made Tyler set up the TV so I could make Bethany watch this movie for my birthday.  It remains a classic.  Originally posted 07 Jul 13.  

Don't judge me.  This movie was my world when I was about 15.  My friend Lindsey was obsessed with it and I quickly became obsessed as well.  I had the soundtrack and the score, plus a huge blacklight poster of Brandon Lee.  My mother thought it was ghastly, which only added to the appeal.

I cracked it open ahead of time (still in the B's) because Rob was reading an article about the proposed remake (currently with Luke Evans attached to star) and mentioned that he had never seen the original.

Eric Draven (Brandon Lee) and his fiancée Shelley (Sofia Shinas) were murdered the night before their wedding.  One year later, Eric returns as a revenant to exact revenge on the gang of thugs that robbed him of happiness. 

It's dark, it's twisted, and it has a ton of actors whose faces you'll recognize even if you have to IMDb their names.  Most importantly, it has Michael Wincott which makes it automatically awesome. 

I was really worried about showing this to someone for the first time, now almost twenty years later.  Sometimes the things we loved as children just don't hold up to someone else's scrutiny and there is nothing like the salt-on-a-slug shriveling feeling of someone looking at you, raising an eyebrow, and saying "you identified with that?"  Abashed, the devil stood, indeed. 

Fortunately, the film can still be an enjoyable watch, if you're willing to go with it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment