Saturday, August 29, 2020

A Company Man (2012)

 A Company Man - Wikipedia  I know I took a week off.  It was my birthday and I had just moved.  I needed a break.  Plus, we hadn't hooked up the TV or anything yet and while I love you random Internet readers, I am not going to watch movies on my phone for you.  That's lame.

But I am back now and with hopefully less existential crisis.  Oh, Chadwick Boseman died?  Super young? After heroically struggling with colon cancer?  On Jackie Robinson Day, a legend in his own right whose biopic catapulted the actor to stardom?  It was also Jack Kirby's birthday, the artist who created Black Panther?  I see, I see.  *Incoherent screaming*

Let's talk about this movie.

JI Hyong-do (SO Ji-seob) works for a company of assassins.  He probably would have said things were going well until he was asked to kill a temp (KIM Dong-jun) who reminded him a little bit too much of himself when he was young and full of dreams.  Worse, in offering his condolences and passing on the kid's paycheck, Ji meets the kid's mom (LEE Mi-yeon), a disillusioned former pop idol, and starts falling in love with her.  His higher-ups think that Ji now has less loyalty to the company and send assassins after him and his new family.  This doesn't end well for anyone.

This was much more of a condemnation of corporate culture than the bloody action movie I was hoping for.  Even my escapism is social commentary.  The film itself was a little slow for me and spent a little too much time on side characters that did nothing to advance the plot.  The action choreography was okay, not over-edited, but lacked a little of the panache I've come to expect.  It all felt very middle of the road.  Still, if you're in the mood for Korean assassins and you've already watched Man from Nowhere eleventy billion times, give this one a shot.  It's streaming on Tubi.

No comments:

Post a Comment