Sunday, September 1, 2013

Blade (1998)

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEh7a0ycmbVsDaqfE5Hp_DXCZA6arSzgJ8R8PCcJnME548rP_DN7xVYlEfZQaX0zd9ZAs5ilWG3ceWOznjSgTZckVZais9Xc6aIWUiKiyiUAvUmeWgrOva2MDrXTTI5TExDGYiyJp1PNWaI/s400/bladeposter.jpg  Welcome back to 1998!  I don't know what you were doing or if you were even born yet, but at this point I was starting to really get into movies in general and action movies in particular.  I was a sophomore in high school so I don't remember if I got to see this in theaters but I bought it on DVD as soon as it was available and I'm pretty sure it's the same disc I've had since then.


Vampires are all around us, either as "pure-blood" born vampires or humans who have been turned.  One of the latter, a vicious specimen named Deacon Frost (Stephen Dorff) wants to overturn the conservative hierarchy and rule humans outright.  Frost hopes to find a way to do this by translating an ancient vampire prophecy of the Blood God.  Meanwhile, Blade the Daywalker (Wesley Snipes), a half-vampire, and his friend Whistler (Kris Kristofferson) are on a mission to destroy all the vampires.  He saves the life of a bitten hematologist, Karen (N'Bushe Wright), who then applies her research skills into developing a cure. 

This is one of the earliest examples (that I can think of without doing any research whatsoever) of a successful comic book movie.  Mostly (again, without research) because nobody treated it like a comic book movie.  I don't remember hearing the kind of nerdrage you'd get today over casting or plot.  I guess we'll see what kind of reception the inevitable reboot gets, now that Marvel has the character rights once more.

I'm calling it now:  Brandon T. Jackson for Blade 2020!

No comments:

Post a Comment