Saturday, September 14, 2013

City of Ember (2008)

  So I'm at home visiting my family in Alabama.  It shouldn't surprise you to learn that we're all big movie watchers here.  Well, except for my dad who tends to fall asleep.  My brother likes big-budget action films while my mother prefers visually stunning family friendly fare.  So you can guess whose movie this is.

Lena Mayfleet (Saoirse Ronan) and Doon Harrow (Harry Treadaway) are teenagers living in the City of Ember.  Long ago, during the course of a war, the city was designed and locked away underground by Builders.  But now the giant generator that powers the city is starting to go dark.  Lena and Doon come together to discover the secrets of the Builders in order to find a way to save their city.

It's a very pretty film with a good supporting cast, including Bill Murray, Tim Robbins, and Toby Jones.  Saoirse Ronan is a fast-rising starlet and she puts in an excellent performance as the irrepressible Lena.  Harry Treadaway was kind of a non-entity, I felt, but with a bit more time he'll probably turn out okay.  There are no real surprises here story-wise, but it's decent enough for a rental.

No comments:

Post a Comment