Monday, January 20, 2014

The Great Gatsby (2013)

Nominated for:  Best Costumes    On the costume front, this is certainly a compelling contender.  The Roaring 20's were a very identifiable time in America.  Drop-waist flapper dresses, bobbed hair, Arrow collars, spats, these are the hallmarks of a decade.  Baz Lurhman has never shied away from spectacle, and he knows the value of a good costume. 

Nick Carroway (Tobey Maguire) is a writer-turned-bondsman trying to get in on Wall Street's boom.  He moves out to the new money enclave of West Egg, Long Island, to a caretaker's cottage that happens to be next door to a fabulously wealthy and mysterious man named Jay Gatsby (Leonardo DiCaprio).  He becomes a friend and confidante of Gatsby's, even going so far as to help Gatsby reconnect with the love of his life:  Nick's cousin Daisy (Carey Mulligan).  Daisy happens to be married to old-money scion Tom Buchannan (Joel Edgarton), who is none too thrilled to have his wife start hanging out with some up-start.

I will fully admit, I never read this book in school.  I got about a quarter in, got bored, and stopped.  It wasn't interesting to me at all.  So I can't tell you whether or not this is a faithful adaptation.  I would imagine it's pretty close but with a lot more sequins.

People raved about the soundtrack more than any movie that came out last year, but I can't say I was terribly impressed.  I imagine it looked very good on the big screen and in 3D.  Some of the swooping camera work would have been very immersive.  As far as the characters and story go, the moral I got was rich people are assholes.  The richer they are, the more of a dick they are.  Tom is a slavering brute, Daisy a weak-willed coward, Gatsby a manipulator, and poor relation Nick the only moral compass.  I feel like this is one of those films that will grow on you, however, with repeated viewings.  It's certainly a beautiful movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment