Saturday, January 11, 2014

American Hustle (2013)



Nominated for:  Best Picture, Best Actor, Best Supporting Actor, Best Actress, Best Supporting Actress, Best Costumes, Best Director, Best Film Editing, Best Production Design, and Best Original Screenplay   
  I actually saw this last weekend but I haven't had a chance to post about it.

For starters, this movie is insane.  Just balls-to-the-wall crazy.  Every scene was so nuts, you'd probably have to see it multiple times to fully appreciate it.  Of course, I might think that because I was so distracted by everyone's hair.

OH MY GOD THE HAIR.  I think this movie is a lock for pretty much every acting category at the Oscars (we'll find out if I'm right next week) but I also think that each character's hair should be separately nominated, as well.  Jeremy Renner's pompadour fought valiantly against Bradley Cooper's perm, but they were both overshadowed by the titan of Christian Bale's combover.  That combover should have gotten equal billing in the credits.

After his mistress and conning partner, Sydney (Amy Adams) is busted, mid-level con artist Irving (Christian Bale) agrees to help hotshot FBI agent Richie DiMasso (Bradley Cooper) in a sting to take down a corrupt mayor (Jeremy Renner).  Irving is willing to do an equal exchange in order to keep Sydney out of jail, but the mayor is just the tip of the iceberg.  Plus, Irving also has to deal with his manipulative, destructive wife, Roselyn (Jennifer Lawrence), who is all too happy to run her mouth to all the wrong people. 

With a cast this good, all of whom have worked with director David O. Russell before, there was no way this was going to suck.  Whether you like it or not will depend on your tolerance for New York/New Jersey accents, 70's music, and the word "fuck".  Jennifer Lawrence is pure poison but somehow still makes Roselyn likeable, instead of a caricature, Louis C.K. turns in a fantastic supporting role, and there's a surprise cameo that I won't spoil but it made me laugh so hard tears came to my eyes.

I still think The Fighter is Russell's best work, but that film is a fucking masterpiece.  This is a wild ride, however, and I think you'll be thoroughly entertained from start to finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment