Monday, January 6, 2014

Penelope (2006)

  I wish I had seen this a few years ago.  It is adorable.

Penelope Wilhearn (Christina Ricci) is a smart, sweet girl who just wants to be a horticulturalist but she has a little problem.  A few generations ago, her family was cursed that the first girl born to their line would have the face of a pig until she could find one of her own kind to love until death.  Penelope's mother (Catherine O'Hara) has scoured the globe to find a suitable blue-blooded match for her daughter, while maintaining constant vigilance against paparazzi.  One scorned photographer, Lemon (Peter Dinklage), who lost an eye trying to get a shot of baby Penelope manages to grab one of her terrified potential mates (Simon Woods) before he can sign a non-disclosure agreement.  Together, they plot an expose of the pig-faced girl.  Lemon locates a down-at-heels aristocrat named Max (James McAvoy) at a poker table and pays him to get in to the Wilhearn house with a camera rig.  Of course, Max begins to see the real Penelope and begins to have second thoughts.

This movie had so many recognizable people in it.  Besides the above names, there was Reese Witherspoon, Russell Brand, and Nick Frost.  The one weird thing was that about half the cast had American accents (either real or fake) and the other half had British accents.  It made it very hard to pin down where the movie was supposed to be taking place.  That lack of attention to detail bothered me.  I will say, this is probably my favorite James McAvoy role to date.  I have completely forgiven him for being in Atonement now. 

I don't know that I would buy it.  I will have to see how much it sticks with me over the next few days/weeks/months but it is definitely worth a rental and Netflix just made it available on streaming.  I can't make it any easier for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment