Saturday, August 30, 2014

Dan in Real Life (2007)

  Christy bought this thinking it was going to be a typical Steve Carell comedy, like The 40-Year-Old Virgin, and was profoundly disappointed.  I didn't have any preconceptions, so I didn't feel betrayed, but it's not what I would call a hidden gem either.

Dan (Steve Carell) is a widower raising three daughters.  He writes an advice column for parenting in the local newspaper.  His column is in the running for national syndication the same time as his annual family reunion.  This year is also special because his brother, Mitch (Dane Cook) is bringing home a girlfriend who could be The One.  While in the bookstore, Dan meets a lovely woman named Marie (Juliette Binoche) and spends hours talking to her.  He goes back to his parents' house all excited because he's finally ready to move on and, you guessed it, Marie is his brother's girlfriend.

Now these things happen from time to time.  Not to me, because I only have one brother, but in families where there are multiple siblings all around the same age, I can see how that would be a concern.  The way I see it, you have three options:  1) Be a man.  Swallow your stupid feelings and leave your brother's girlfriend alone.  If you have to, make up an excuse and leave early.  2) Confess that you accidentally tried to pick up your brother's girlfriend and play the sympathy card so no one gets mad at you.  Pity burns but it's nothing compared to the wrath of your entire extended family.  3) Act like a juvenile idiot in front of your brother, his girlfriend, and your entire family, broadcasting your stupid immature feelings to the point where everyone, including your children, hates you.

Guess which one Dan chooses.  Of course, everything turns out all right because this is a romantic comedy, not a cautionary tale, more's the pity.

Oh, hey, I didn't realize it until after I posted it but Sin City:  A Dame to Kill for was my 1100th post!

No comments:

Post a Comment