Friday, August 22, 2014

The Crow: City of Angels (1996)

It's my birthday!  Enjoy this extra post!    Monday before last, when I completely whiffed on posting, hereafter referred to as Lucy's Terrible, Horrible, No-Good, Very Bad Day, I was planning on having a Crow marathon, since I had finally gotten all four movies.  I watched the original on blu-ray for the first time, then when I went to put it back on the shelf I realized that my copy of The Crow:  Salvation was missing.

You guys know how obsessed I am with my movies, right?  So for one to just have vanished is an awful occurrence.  It's why I stopped lending movies back in my teens.  Now, I'm not mad because I had a particular love for that film because it's mostly crap, but I am seriously pissed that it is gone.  I can only assume that it somehow made its way into Rob's boxes of DVDs.  I won't find out for sure until he unpacks in his new apartment at the end of September.

It took a couple of days, but I moved on.

I remember when the sequel came out and I categorically hated it.  Mostly because it didn't have Brandon Lee and I felt that it was a tacky attempt to cash in on the cult-like adoration fans of the original have for it.  Now that I am older and less emotional, I can go back and watch it again with a more objective eye.  It's still awful but I no longer find it personally offensive.

The little girl, Sarah, from the first movie has moved from Detroit to Los Angeles and inexplicably changed from a blonde to a brunette.  We know it is the same girl because she still has Shelley's engagement ring and white cat.  Sarah (Mia Kirshner) now has visions of a man and his son being shot and then drowned.  She goes to the pier and finds a new revenant named Ashe (Vincent Perez) who has been chosen by the Crow to become a spirit of vengeance against the gang of thugs who murdered him and his son.  This gang includes Iggy Pop, Thomas Jane, the yellow Power Ranger and is led by an ADA from Law & Order.

Judah (Richard Brooks) runs the drug trade in LA and wears costumes left over from Stargate.  His blind oracle (Tracey Ellis) tells him that he can take the Crow's power by killing the bird, so he kidnaps Sarah in order to lure Ashe and his winged avatar to his building.

What's really awful about this film is that it was written by the same guy who wrote the Batman Begins trilogy, David S. Goyer.  You can kind of see how they were trying to make something dark and lyrical that evoked the previous movie but it's just a big mess.  There's an attempt to tie it to the Day of the Dead celebrations but it comes across as more of an excuse to show people dressed as devils and skeletons.  Perez is Swiss and mostly does French films, and his accent bleeds through here with no rhyme or reason.  He commits to the part because he is a very good actor, but it wasn't right for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment