Monday, June 10, 2019

John Wick (2014)

I know, it's another repost.  Technically, I haven't watched this since 2014, though, so it was probably time to see it again.  We had a guest over this weekend so I was not in control of the remote and I had absolutely nothing prepared.  That's my fault.  New and fresh posts will be coming this weekend.  In the meantime, let's revisit the beginning to one of the best new franchises around.  Originally posted 25 Oct 2014.    I know I'm usually earlier with my posts but I had absolutely nothing drafted.  It's been crazy busy all week and I'm trying to work my way through around 30 episodes of The Daily Show and The Colbert Report.  So I decided to get up and go see something at the theater.

I've never been a huge Keanu Reeves fan, mostly because I don't think he's all that attractive.  Sadly, that is a huge factor for me.  I know, shallow.  Whatever.  But with this movie, I am completely turned around.  This is another must-buy for me this year.

John Wick (Keanu Reeves) is struggling to go on after the death of his wife (Bridget Moynahan).  Foreseeing this, she has a dog delivered to him after her funeral as a way of forcing him to connect with the outside world.  He has this dog all of two freakin' days before the son of the Russian mafia boss (Alfie Allen) breaks into his house, steals his car, and **Not really a spoiler because it's in the trailer, but be ye warned anyway** kills his puppy.

Then it is on.

Wick, a former hitman for Viggo (Michael Nyqvist), comes out of retirement for revenge and he doesn't care how far he has to go to get it.

Slick, stylish, and darkly comedic, John Wick is one of those awesome popcorn flicks that I personally can watch over and over.  I walked out of the theater wishing I could walk right back in and see it again.

2 comments:

  1. OK, So I'm a fan of Keanu. Don't judge. :)
    How would you compare this movie to his movie Constantine?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read the Hellblazer comics so I was already biased against Keanu in that movie. I don't think it was a great interpretation and I hope the TV show will be better. That being said, John Wick is miles more entertaining.

    ReplyDelete