Sunday, June 23, 2019

Mary Poppins (1964)

  I had two of my godchildren up for the weekend so you're getting all family-friendly stuff the rest of this post cycle.

The Banks family is in disarray after Katie Nanna (Elsa Lancaster) is the latest in a long string of nannies to abandon her post.  Mr. Banks (David Tomlinson) wants a nanny with a firm hand while children Jane (Karen Dotrice) and Michael (Matthew Garber) just want someone to love and pay attention to them.  Mrs. Banks (Glynnis Johns) wants votes for women.  Everyone gets what they want in Mary Poppins (Julie Andrews), the practically perfect magical nanny who takes the children on fabulous adventures and also makes them clean their rooms.

I wasn't sure this would hold up in today's CGI-dominated world but the kids seemed just as engaged with it as I remember being.  Charlie asked a lot of questions about the special effects and I tried to explain blue-screens and optical effects combined with editing.  I think it was more confusing than helpful but at least I tried.

This is a classic film for very good reason and should be a staple of childhoods everywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment