Sunday, June 2, 2019

Good Omens (2019)

  Okay, I'm cheating a little bit with this one because it's a limited TV series and not a movie.  But I went on an impromptu trip to the beach yesterday and didn't post anything and I don't have anything in draft either so it's this or nothing.

Armageddon is happening.  The Antichrist (Sam Taylor Buck) has been born and the forces of Heaven and Hell are readying for the final battle.  Except things have slightly gone wrong.  Instead of being switched with the just-born child of the American ambassador (Nick Offerman), the Antichrist has been given to an unassuming couple in Tadfield, England.  And the infernal and celestial representatives on Earth, Crowley (David Tennant) and Aziraphale (Michael Sheen), respectively, maybe have their own agendas with not wanting the Earth to be destroyed in a giant pissing match.  Can these two manage to transcend their jingoistic compatriots and call off the end of the world?  Maybe!

So, this is a six-episode limited series streaming on Amazon Prime and I unequivocally loved it.  I read the book (by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaimon, two great tastes that taste great together) so many times I wore out my copy and had to buy another.  One of only three books I can say that about.  (The other two are Maskerade by Terry Pratchett and White Fang by Jack London.)  The series is a loving homage and one of the very few adaptations to truly nail it by being both true to the source and expanding on it at the same time.  I wanted to cry actual, genuine tears because I loved it so much.  And then read the book again.

It's six hours of your time.  Less than a drive from Maryland to the Outer Banks.  Do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment