Saturday, November 22, 2014

Memories of Murder (2003)

  I'm really starting to appreciate the seamless melding of genres in Korean films.  This one starts out with the Keystone Kops, then morphs into Zodiac.  It's funny until it's not and you're on the edge of your seat and then left with an ending filled with poignancy.  I don't know how they do it.

In 1986, South Korea's rural areas did not have cutting edge police techniques.  So when a serial killer starts picking off women during rainy nights, the local force is completely ill-equipped to deal with it.  A detective from Seoul (Kim Sang-kyung) is brought in but soon finds himself at odds with the local lead detective (Song Kang-ho), who resents the city-boy's obvious contempt.  But as the bodies keep piling up, the two men must overcome their differences in order to track down the killer.

I had previously seen Mother by Bong Joon-ho and found it interesting but not particularly gripping.  Memories of Murder was much more in my wheelhouse because you know I love me some serial killer movies.

I have been sitting here staring at this screen, trying to figure out how exactly this movie is different from the 1001 other police procedurals and I cannot come up with a single reason.  But it is.  It made an indelible impression in my mind and there are scenes that I know will revisit me in the quiet moments between thoughts.  Maybe it was the cinematography.  Some of the master shots were just breathtakingly beautiful.  Much like the main character, I believe I will be haunted by this film for years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment