Monday, April 1, 2013

Mother (2009)

  This has been in my Netflix queue forever but I ended up renting it from Amazon and downloading it to my Kindle while on my trip because I couldn't rely on any of the WiFi networks available.  It feels like cheating somehow.

The movie itself is okay.  It's very slow-paced and methodical with very little humor to lighten the mood.  Do-joon (Bin Won) is a young man who lives with his mother (Hye-ja Kim), an herbalist and off-the-books acupuncturist.  He is a little slow and Mom is slightly overprotective.  She especially doesn't like him hanging around with his friend Jin Tae (Ku Jin) because she thinks he's a bad influence.  Then, a local girl named Moon Ah-jeong (Hee-ra Mun) gets murdered and the police find a golf ball with Do-joon's name on it next to the body.  Now Mother must find the real killer in order to free her son from prison.

This isn't as gory or fucked up as some of the other Korean films I've watched but it's not exactly sunshine and kittens, either.  There are a couple of late-stage reveals that are at least depressing, if not disturbing.  Overall, I'd say it's a solid film.  The director, Joon-ho Bong, has an English-language movie coming out this year called Snowpiercer that looks pretty interesting, based on the storyboard art. 

No comments:

Post a Comment