Saturday, April 4, 2015

Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon (2006)

In revenge for Idiocracy, I forced my friend to watch Behind the Mask.  I never got my sequel to it and that makes me sad but this is such a great movie, I'm okay with it being the only one.  Fortunately, my friend and her husband had both seen enough classic horror films to really appreciate the spirit of the mockumentary.    Originally posted 2/28/11.    So this is one of my favorite horror movies.  I was able to share it with a soon-to-be paramour (yes, a new one) on Saturday night. 

Sunday I was busy and I didn't get a chance to post before the Oscars so you get a bonus post today.  I know, I know, I spoil you.

For those who have never seen it, this is a mockumentary about a college film crew that follows a man poised to become the next great slasher.  His name is (maybe) Leslie Vernon.  The film follows him as he does all the prep work for his debut, setting up the house and filling it with appropriate victims. 

It is extremely tongue-in-cheek, referencing classic films of the genre from Halloween to Man Bites Dog.  Honestly, I've seen this film probably four times now and this last time was the first I've put that reference together.  What shines through for me is the obvious love the writers and director have for these types of films, much like the original Scream

And, according to the IMDB page, it looks like a sequel is in the works projected for 2012.  Fingers crossed on that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment