Sunday, April 26, 2015

Missing (1982)

Missing 1982 film.jpg  This was a really well-done movie, which made it incredibly hard to watch, given the subject matter.  The two places you never want to hear the words "Based on a true story" are horror movies and political thrillers.  Neither one is going to be good for your peace of mind.

Ed Horman (Jack Lemmon) is a simple man.  He runs a successful business in New York, believes in Christian Science and the American Way.  When his son (John Shea) goes missing during a military coup in Chile, Ed is desperate for answers.  So desperate, he heads down to Chile to investigate personally.  His daughter-in-law, Beth (Sissy Spacek), has already hit a wall of red tape from the local government and the American Consulate, but Ed is convinced that he will find the truth.  What they discover is nothing short of harrowing for both of them.

Uggggggghhhh, this movie was so good.  By which I mean that it makes you really feel bad for the characters.  It infects you with their fear and dread and overwhelms you with sympathy.  I hate that.  Look, America is my country and I love it, but I am under no illusions that being from one country or another is a guarantee of safety while traveling.  I know plenty of people today who are still like Ed Horman, whether they'll admit it or not.  People who think "I'm an American" are magic words that will cause all doors to open and people to rush out with garlands of flowers to strew in their paths.  Just because you think it doesn't make it true.

Movies like this make me glad I'm paranoid.

Seven episodes left on Justified season 2!

No comments:

Post a Comment