Saturday, April 4, 2015

Idiocracy (2006)

File:Idiocracy movie poster.jpg  One of the girls I work with was flabbergasted that I had never seen this movie.  She subsequently lured me to her house with spaghetti, chocolate cake, and booze, then sprang it on me while I was recovering from my euphoria.  She seemed to think it was a comedy, instead of a chilling forecast of our future as a nation.

Average Army peon Joe Bauers (Luke Wilson) is chosen to participate in an experiment that will cryogenically preserve the Army's best and brightest in order to be thawed when they are needed.  The Army knows better than to deep-freeze one of their good soldiers right off the bat, however, and selected Joe for his amazing averageness.  For equality, a female civilian named Rita (Maya Rudolph) was also chosen.  The pair are put into hibernation pods and told that when they wake up a year will have passed.  Due to an unfortunate amount of circumstances, the project is scrapped and the pods are forgotten until five thousand years later.  Joe awakens to find that, thanks to social Darwinism, he is now the smartest man in the country and also a fugitive.  Corporations have taken over all forms of infrastructure, there is only reality television, and convenience has taken the place of responsibility.  Joe is tasked by the President (Terry Crews) to reverse the damage done to the environment and make crops grow once more, despite his complete lack of knowledge of agriculture.

This was Mike Judge's feature follow-up to Office Space and while it is more ambitious in terms of message, it lacks the ring of sincerity provided by the former.  I'm not sad that I watched it, but I think once was enough.

1 comment:

  1. I never said it was a comedy, I said it was necessary to watch once because it is so close to the truth. It will make your soul hurt.

    ReplyDelete