Saturday, October 10, 2015

Rabbit Hole (2010)

Rabbit Hole Poster.jpg  This was an Oscar and Golden Globe nominee from 2011 and 2010, respectively.  I am just now getting to it.  Yikes.

Becca (Nicole Kidman) and Howie (Aaron Eckhart) are each dealing with the loss of their four-year-old in their own ways.  Where Howie finds some comfort in group therapy, Becca finds a measure of closure in stalking the teenaged boy (Miles Teller) who was driving the car that killed her son.  Not stalking like a revenge thing, more of a "if my kid had grown up, maybe this is what he would have been like" thing.

This movie is very emotional, since it does deal with a subject most people find unpleasant to even think about and I think it has a lot of really important points to make about dealing with grief and offering comfort without pushing your personal experiences on the bereaved, but it was totally a downer to watch.  If you've been feeling too happy or too up-beat lately and you want to come back down to your cold, depressing normal, go ahead and pop this into the DVD player.

Even Nicole Kidman's costumes were dispirited.  Everything she wore was drab blues or grays and wrinkled as hell.  Part of me applauds the decision to make her seem more realistic but the other part of me was slightly put off.  I have certain standards in my fictional characters thanks to the inherent fantasy of Hollywood.  I don't care if you just went through a bomb explosion, your hair should look sexily tousled and your clothes should be artfully smudged with a complementary color of dust.  I don't need a main character who is too depressed to iron.  That's my role in the real world.

No comments:

Post a Comment